[OM] Re: Why do digital cameras have a shutter?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why do digital cameras have a shutter?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:56:32 -0800 (PST)
> In considering the move to digital, I ran across an editorial
> that made a pretty convincing argument that the current crop
> of digitals were still essentially modified
> film cameras. for instance, the editorial pointed out that
> there' no reason a digital camera needs a shutter, and made
> the argument that there was no reason a
> quality LCD couldn't give a better image than the mirrors
> we're used to in our SLRs.

With today's tunnel vision, horrid viewfinders as found in the
DRebel and D70, I see where he's coming from.  However, his
opinion is pretty shortsighted (parden the pun) as a
high-quality SLR viewfinder, such as those found in the OM
series (2-x screens), Minolta 7D/9D, Canon EOS-1(V,D,DS), and
Nikon F5 and D1X pretty much squelch that argument.

1. The processing delay for an EVF (Electronic View Finder)
means that you are always a beat behind. They'll probably solve
that by "predictive imaging" where the camera is constantly
taking a picture 10x a second and when you press the shutter
release it actually captures the previous picture in the buffer.
This delay is noticable and makes open-eyed photography of
sporting events necessary.

2. Contrast, or lack of it. Quite bothersome as you have no clue
what's lurking in those shadows.

3. Night blindness. I'd like to turn the brightness level down
on the EVF when night shooting.

4. Focusing issues. It's not easy without hitting the zoom-in
button.

> So - is anyone working on a digital camera that's digital from
> the ground up?

Yes. I like it, and the EVF really is a nice feature. But until
the delay, contrast and resolution issues are resolved, it will
remain a cludgy interface.

The biggest problem that the manufacturers insist on forcing on
us is imbedding all of the settings information on the imaging
screen. A hybrid approach with the lit LCD displays below the
screen would be very nice, so I can have a clean display and see
my shutter speed and aperture too.

Live histogram is almost worth the price of admission, though.
This feature is the cat's meow.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com