[OM] Re: Why do digital cameras have a shutter?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why do digital cameras have a shutter?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:00:40 -0800
This may reinforce his point, but actually the sensor in many cameras
participate in the shutter process. The mechanical shutter in a D70 for
instance just opens and the sensor shuts down at higher speeds which
allows the higher sync speed for flash. And I am not certain, but I
think that all the digicams are really shutterless. They are completely
silent when the little beeper is turned on. Remember the lens aperture
has to be open for the LCD to operate and and to record the picture.
The LCD blanks when the sensor is switched to record mode for the
duration of the exposure and writing it to memory.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA