[OM] Re: Why do digital cameras have a shutter?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why do digital cameras have a shutter?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:16:57 -0800 (PST)
> but I
> think that all the digicams are really shutterless. They are
> completely
> silent when the little beeper is turned on. Remember the lens
> aperture
> has to be open for the LCD to operate and and to record the
> picture.
> The LCD blanks when the sensor is switched to record mode for
> the
> duration of the exposure and writing it to memory.

My A1 most definitely has a shutter. I suspect, though, that
it's kinda modelled after a Bronica or other MF equipment where
the leaf shutter closes, the focal plane shutter opens and the
mirror pops up, the leaf shutter opens, exposure is taken, the
leaf shutter closes, the focal plane shutter closes and the
morror pops down and finally the leaf shutter opens again.  It's
kinda like that children's game "Mousetrap".

I suspect that the A1 uses the leaf shutter to allow the sensor
to purge. Whether or not it collects the image data prior to the
closing of the shutter is a question mark, though. The A1 has a
maximum of 1/16000 shutter speed. I doubt that leaf shutters can
operate THAT fast.

AG

http://my.yahoo.com