[OM] Re: [Photo] Todays work

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Todays work
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:58:24 -0800
Johan Malmstrom wrote:

>I've made some prints to day, tested an new paper (FinePrint). No
>scientific test like AG's but I will do a comparable print on my norm,
>Ilford Multigrade. FinePrint is a lot cheaper...
>
>Karin:
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/?dnode=418&cat=privat&pict=karin.jpg>
>OM-4, Ilford FP4+, D-76
>
>Elin:
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/?dnode=418&cat=privat&pict=elin.jpg>
>OM-4, Ilford FP4+, D-76
>
>Elin came out a little dark. I have made no adjustments or sharpening.
>
>Enjoy or dislike the choice is yours...

Well, I very much enjoyed enjoyed the models, poses and composition.
Karin has a nice mood and the Elin shot is quite a wonderfully humorous
and human image.

But I'm with Garry on highlights and contrast. And no, Garry, it isn't
your monitor.

If I were printing these, I'd be looking for something more like the
right side images here <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/ElinKarin.jpg>.
The histogram for Karin was entirely below the midpoint. Virtually all
straight prints of ordinary subjects, and certainly these, should have
at least one point at or very near pure white and the same for pure
black. The only white points I could see were the dust shadows on Elin.

Moose