[OM] Re: [OT] Printing Advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Printing Advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:31:18 -0800
Willie Wonka wrote:

>OK,
>Another dumb question: how do you get to the resampling image box?

Already answered by Mark, assuming we are working in PS. Should be
obvious in any other app.

>I am in the image size box and in it I see pixel dimentions and document size.
> I started by adjusting the size to 5X5cm, the resolution in the document size
>box was set at 72ppi by default.
>The size of the picture originally was 8.04MB.  After this first part, the
>pixel dimentions box tells me that my file was reduced to 58KB.  Then I go and
>change the 72ppi to 300ppi (still at 5X5) and the file 'swells" to 996KB.
>It looks like it has been resized automatically, do I still need to adjust
>sampling?
>I did some experiments:
>Printed it at 72, 150,300 and 800 ppi (the last one was 6.92MB) and the
>pictures looked better as I increased the resolution...I did alignment and
>cleaning, it did not help.
>It just looks coarse, like from an older or cheap printer, you know what I
>mean, you can see the dots...

My suspicion from you description of starting out at 8mb and going to
58kb is that you had the resampling set to on. Then with 72ppi set and
5x5cm set, PS dutifully downsampled the image, losing all sorts of
detail. If you then set a larger ppi and the same image size, with
resampling still on, it dutifully samples back up, but the result will
inevitably lack the detail of the original and look coarse.

The solution is simply to start over again. Load the original image,
which I think is about 1600 pixels square. In the Image Size dialog box,
UNcheck the Resample Image box, enter a size of 5cm for one side (the
other should follow along). The Resolution box should now say about 800.
Click OK, save, under a new name if you are careful, and you are done.
You have not changed a single pixel in the image, but you have stored a
print size of 5x5cm in the file to tell the printer what to do.

>I also experimented with printing a 5X5 picture, which I scanned at 2400X1200
>on my CanoScah D1250U2F.  Looking what PS tells me it is whooping 70.4MB(?),
>but it shows resolution of 2400 ppi and I am having hard time digesting this...

2400 ppi times 2 inches =  4,800, squared = 23,040,000, times 3 colors =
69,120,000. Assuming you scanned in 8 bit, that is one byte per color
per pixel and 70mb is just right. This is why hardly anybody would ever
want to scan a full 4x5 piece of film at 4000 dpi.

Moose