[OM] Re: sticky stop down button

Subject: [OM] Re: sticky stop down button
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:35:52 -0800
Mike wrote:

>So is this an easy fix on a 50/1.2? Should I just squirt a bunch of WD40
>in there to loosen things up?
>JUST KIDDING! But I really do need to check the DOF with this lens.
>Everything works fine otherwise. The camera stops down the lens then it
>snaps back OK.  But when I push the button to check DOF the iris sticks
>in the stopped down position and I have to remove the lens and push the
>little lever back.

 From your description, the problem is in the DOF button mechanism. This
is pretty easy to work on, as it only requires removing the mount. The
crucial bits are then right in front of you. The common problem is oil
on the big 'C' shaped lever that is pushed by the DOF button. With such
a large surface touching the ring below, ol sort of binds them together
and movement becomes quite slow or stops altogether. The parts there
should be absolutely clean and dry. Here is a scan of an 85/2 that
someone was kind enough to post when I had much the same question. What
is shown is the inside of the mount, looking backwards towards the
camera. Other Zuiko lenses I've been in are all much the same
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/85_mount.jpg>.

Mike