[OM] Re: OM-1 Shutter Speed Ring operates stiffly

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 Shutter Speed Ring operates stiffly
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:01:38 -0800
Donald Shedrick wrote:

>The shutter speed ring on my OM-1 has become more difficult to rotate
>beyond the 1/60 setting towards the 1/1000 setting.  It feels like
>something is scraping and needs to be lubricated.  Is there anything
>relatively easy I can do or do I need to have it CLAed?  I am worried
>it will become worse and something will break.  Thanks in advance for
>any help

If you mean going from 1/60 to 1/125, it's probably dirt/oil/guck in the
movement of the ring itself. I've never fixed that on an OM-1, but it's
fairly simple on an OM-4 or OMPC for the mechanically adept and
observant. Yes, there are little parts that you have to pay atttention to.

However, if it is in the movement from 1/30-1/60, it could easily be a
deeper problem. That is the point where the body switches between to
different 'retard' mechanisms, gear trains that time the shutter. On an
OM-1 which has not been CLAed in ages, if ever, I can clearly hear and
feel the extra movement across speed change. On one fairly recently
CLAed, it is virtually undiscernable as diferent than other surrounding
speed changes. If it is that, I would certainly recommend a CLA sooner
rather than later. You really don't want it to stop "changing gears"
while using it.

Moose