[OM] Re: Buying advice: Which printer?

Subject: [OM] Re: Buying advice: Which printer?
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:17:00 -0000 (GMT)

> It's very hard to justify d-i-y printing.  I use 'Acme' cartridges to run
> off quick/cheap postcard proofs at home, or 'proper' carts with Galerie
> paper to do quick A4s that I want to show people - for example to display
> at the camera club the same night.
> But when I have time I order them over the internet.  Over here in Belgium
> I just paid 13euro for 7 A4s (just over a pound each) and 30x45cm
> (12"x18") cost 4euro each.  It generally takes 2 days.
> I use an Epson 870 and for a long time I lusted after a 1270, then 1290,
> then 2100, but now I've accepted that the professionals can do it cheaper
> than I can (and probably better).
> br
> Jez

I bought a dedicated film scanner because the few places that where
offering non jpeg compressed scans from negatives or slides at a good
resolution where charging around 15 pounds per roll just for the scan. So
once you factor in postage and packing both ways etc it would not take
many 36 rolls until the scanner saves me money. I ended up spending 500
pounds on a minolta scan elite 5400.

I can't see how the epson is going to save me money over a lab. The ink
and paper are just not economical. I bet they make a fortune on the ink.
Infact the printer in the uk is about 207 pounds and a complete cartridge
set is about 88 and since the printer comes with some free paper
effectively each time you run out of ink you could think about simply
buying a new printer!
- thats crazy!

the print costs would have to be about 1/4 of what I have calculated
before I would even be tempted. at 1/10 of the printing cost I would buy
one. Realistically I can't se the printing costs going sub 10 pence per
page...

Regards James (trying to put things in perspective.)