[OM] 2-Bath developers (WasRe: Fuji black & white film)

Subject: [OM] 2-Bath developers (WasRe: Fuji black & white film)
From: tom_f77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:40:53 GMT
Christian wrote:
>Hello

>I dont use very much my cameras (just family pictures) (too busy with work).
>I had a try with diafine but no satisfied results with 400TX, FP4+, etc..
>at recommended iso settings....

>...Tom, I aggree from you to evangelise us about 2-bath development. IMO.

>Christian

I started out this way a couple of years ago because as a beginner in all
departments it seemed like a good way of learning to take pictures and make
prints without having to worry much about what went on in between - as long as
you put films in the tank and pour chemicals in and out at regular intervals it
doesn't really matter what the film is, what the light was like, how warm or
cold it is etc etc.  This is probably the primary advantage of diafine.

I had to make my own as I couldn't find any for sale around here at all, and I
should stress that I never tried the real stuff.  I wasn't happy with the recipe
I'd found on the net until I'd done a bit of research and beefed up the second
bath (details available if required).

It works well in any high contrast situations, as controlling highlights is the
real strength of 2-bath developers, and well enough otherwise for a beginner.  I
still think it really shines with Tri-x indoors in available daylight, and
outside in the sun with Acros.  I generally try to use t400cn in other
conditions (even less hassle in the darkroom at £1.50 a roll for "develop
only"!).

I was thinking that eventually I'd find myself coming up against it's limits
more often as I got better at printing and want to try a developer that allowed
more contrast control in both directions, but now I've found the Diluxol Vitesse
I think I'll be happy for another year at least.  I don't know what's in it, but
it appears to be a far more subtle brew; I've got prints from Christmas that I'm
still staring at for half an hour most evenings...

Tom