[OM] Re: eos350d

Subject: [OM] Re: eos350d
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:47:49 -0800 (PST)
> I don't understand... It is approximately the same size as an
> OM-4 or
> OM-2SP, that you like IIRC ? ;-)

Ah, but let me explain:

An OM-4 or OM-2SP doesn't have a grip for the right hand. As
such, the camera is primarily supported by the left hand.
Putting a winder or motordrive on an OM body changes this so the
right hand becomes the primary support of the camera. DSLRs are
designed with grips for the right hand that mimick a winder or
motordrive. This is fine, as long as the grip shape/size allows
for comfortable holding of the camera. If the camera body is too
thick you are forced to squeeze the grip harder. If the grip is
too short/small, you are using the thumb and first three fingers
to hold the camera.

Case in point:

The new N*kon 8MP megazoom digicam is about the same exact size
and shape as my M*nolta A1. However, the grip of the N*kon is
substantially smaller. People with really small hands might find
the N*kon to be more comfortable, but my medium-large hands
struggle with it.

A traditional film camera body (minus winders and motordrives
and grip enhancements) is held quite differently than one with a
grip. When shooting an OM body you will find that the right
thumb sits idle and the camera is held/secured by the base of
the thumb and the palm.  The only squeezing you do with the
right hand is primarily just to hold the camera steady, but the
right hand isn't near as load-bearing.

Another thing about body/grip shapes. When shooting a vertical
picture, your hand changes positions and grip positions on an OM
to maintain a comfortable wrist position. With a modern grip,
your hand has to stay in the same position on the camera, but
the wrist has to twist. This is probably why we rarely if ever
saw a vertical shutter release until the modern grip shape came
out.

I've been trying to revise my shooting style to carry more
weight with the left hand, but it's counter-intuitive with the
grip.

But, heh, I've only shot 10,000 pictures with the thing, I'm
still trying to find the zoom ring.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com