[OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid> Now Shift Lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: OM-1 viewing screen with grid> Now Shift Lenses
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:23:14 -0500
Good tip Piers! The one I had modified was the first version which has a
shorter section at the back end than the one shown in that auction. If I
knew then what I know now I would look for this later version as it gives
the machinist somewhat more metal to hang onto when working.

My conversion was done using a donor mount from a reversing ring. The
reversing ring also provided the raw metal for the new spacer ring to fit
between the lens and the mount.  The filter thread section was removed from
the mount and then cut down to the required thickness to maintain infinity
focus for the lens. Once the required thickness was achieved it was drilled
to match the mounting points on the lens. I retained the original F mount so
should I ever wish to resell the lens I can do so intact. The machining was
done by a fellow OM fan machinist, he was kind enough to do the work without
charge to me (he wanted to see how challenging it was). I picked up the lens
and donor mount for under $200 total. Alas I cannot speculate as to how much
it should have cost me to get the machining done.

When planning this modification it is necessary to adjust for the 0.5mm
difference between the OM and F mounts. As far as conversions go it is
probably one of the easier ones out there. It requires working with
precision but does not involve having to defeat auto linkages and the like.

Thanks also for the link on the shifts article.

Dan S.