[OM] Re: eos350d

Subject: [OM] Re: eos350d
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:35:47 -0800
Earl Dunbar wrote:

>Thanks for letting me enjoy my rant. ;-)  It was greatly enhanced by a
>GIANT margarita....

Aaah yes, the attack of the giant M.

>You picked up on one of the unstated implications of my rant; that is,
>that yesterday's "old" sensor still is capable of wonderful pictures in
>the right hands.

Certainly. I've posted other images with my "old" S110, but when I was
recently cruising some of C.H.'s georgeous flower pics, I was reminded
of some shots my SO took on a visit to family in NY last year. Even in
the "wrong" hands, a measly litle 2mp in an auto only camera can give
very pleasing results <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Lotus.htm>.

>Anyone who has visited the Olympus SLR forum on DP Review lately would think
>that the E-1 is at least 10 years old, as words like "ancient" and "outdated"
>are thrown around.

Still a great picture taker, but I'm afraid they may turn out to be
right in the sense that it is going to become not competitive in the
marketplace. They are coming out with some great lenses, but where is
the competitive body? I"m not primarily talking mp here, although that
has to increase for marketability. as its outdatedness is more glaring
in other areas.

>I think the big question I have for Olympus is:  "What Would Maitani
>Do?"  I don't think what we see now is totally Maitani-like.

I don't think the E-1 at all Maitini-like, but the E300 gets closer.
I've always thought of the XA as one of the greatest expressions of his
ideas. In the digital realm, though, cameras like the S100 and its
offspring and the S series Optios seem closer than anything Oly is making.

Moose