[OM] Re: Q: re 2x converters

Subject: [OM] Re: Q: re 2x converters
From: Gene Wilburn <cdnphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 08:02:45 -0500
Thanks Moose,

As I only use the Vivitar 2x occasionally, it doesn't sound as if an
upgrade to the Oly 2X-A would get me much. I prefer not using one at
all, but they're handy in a lightweight travel kit.

Looking through Gary's tests I was struck at how much worse many of
the lenses fared on the OM-1 as opposed to the OM-4T. Would that apply
only to controlled, tripod shooting with mirror and aperture prefire
on the 4T? Should I gvie some serious consideration to trading up my
OM-1 to an OM-4T? (a friend of mine has one for sale). Most of my
shooting is handheld.

Gene

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:20:27 -0800, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gene Wilburn wrote:
>
> >I have an old Vivitar 2x converter for OM lenses -- dating from
> >probably around 1973-74. I always notice some degradation when I use
> >it but accept that as typical. Has anyone ever compared one of these
> >to the Zuiko 2X-A 2x converter. Is the Zuiko significantly better in
> >your opinion, or is it a tossup?
> >
> Assuming you are talking about the old 4 element converter, 26mm barrel
> and usually marked 2X-21, it is typical of 4 element converters, not
> unusable stopped well down, and pretty bad opened up. I too used one
> back then, with pretty much the same results you got. Best used with the
> elements removed as an extension tube.

[snip]