[OM] Re: eos350d

Subject: [OM] Re: eos350d
From: Earl Dunbar <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:04:04 -0800
Moose wrote:
<snip>

>I don't think the E-1 at all Maitini-like, but the E300 gets closer.
>I've always thought of the XA as one of the greatest expressions of his
>ideas. In the digital realm, though, cameras like the S100 and its
>offspring and the S series Optios seem closer than anything Oly is making.
>
>Moose

Well, I stopped by Rowe Photo's new store yesterday.  Not an E-1 in
sight, but there was an E300 tucked away in the corner of a glass case,
so I asked to play with it.  I did like the feel in the hand, except for
the slightly plasticy feel.  The right hand grip material is very nice
and, well, grippy.  What surprised me was the viewfinder.  I have only
handled an E-1 once, so am I not remembering correctly, but isn't the
E300 viewfinder bigger and brighter?  I was pretty impressed.  The
controls were a mystery to me.  I'm sure I would get used to them but I
still prefer the familiarity (and logic, IMO) of the OM-2 I had with me.

And I would also prefer prime lenses, not a lot of zooms.  Zooms have
there place, though I only own one, a Tokina 70-150.  But mostly all
they do for me is furnish another variable to deal with, and that's
usually a distraction.

Earl