[OM] Re: Camera pasition. Was: eos350d

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera pasition. Was: eos350d
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:25:58 -0700
Bernard Frangoulis wrote:
> True. But I find that the base of the camera (OM4-Ti, even with grip
> 1), when held horizontally, rests primarily on the last two fingers
> () of my left hand, while the first three fingers of the left hand
> hold and operate the lens rings.

  Quick mini-survey -- how many other people hold the camera like this?

  I ask because I hold it completely differently -- when picking an OM
up, my right hand goes, from the front, back through the strap, twists
so the strap is looped loosely around my right wrist, then holds the
body with three last fingers on the front, index finger on the top,
thumb at the back, bottom corner of the camera tucked into the base of
the ball of my thumb. I don't think this varies too much, but my left
hand does.

  My left thumb goes next to the body of the camera and supports the
lens from the bottom in the crook of my thumb, and I then use the thumb
and index finger to adjust focus/aperture -- my last three fingers on my
left hand don't really do much, except maybe provide an extra bit of
stability when I'm actually shooting.

  All the weight is supported by the left thumb in this case; I can take
my right hand away and not grip at all with my left hand, and the camera
will sit balanced there.

  Interestingly, this only seems to work with lenses that are physically
longer -- I was just testing that lot with a 135/2.8, which is long
enough and heavy enough to balance out nicely. With a 50/1.8, it's very
different, in that case I can't really use the thumb-on-the-bottom grip
and there Bernard's little-fingers-on-bottom seems to work better.

  Doing a bit more testing, a 24/2 is just about long enough for the
thumb-bottom grip to work nicely, though I just noticed that in that
situation I have to flare my left-hand fingers a long way out to keep
them out of shot -- tucking them under the body works much better there.
With longer lenses, that's not a problem so much.

  Anyway -- how do other people do this? Have I been holding the camera
"wrongly" all these years? With (one-touch) zooms, it seems like the
thumb-on-bottom grip works better because that way you can grasp the
zoom/focus section of the lens and do things, but maybe that's the only
situation where it does work better.

  -- dan