[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 10:44:40 -0800
Absolutely. From state of the art 1972 to state of the art 1984. The
OM4T is a wonderful, flexible picture taking machine.

The main source of shaking in an OM seems to be the plunger in the body
that activates the automatic aperture. It still shakes the camera in
the OM 1 even with mirror lock up. The OM 4T self timer flips the
mirror up and reduces the aperture from the wide open metering mode to
the stop shown on the lens letting all the vibration die away. That is
why Gary's tests show differences in resolution between the two cameras
with the same lens. It affects using the camera at less than hand
holdable speeds on a tripod, even a sturdy one. Use the Oly tripod
technique of holding the camera on the tripod which damps some of the
vibration.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA