[OM] Re: For all those who enjoy B&W

Subject: [OM] Re: For all those who enjoy B&W
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:39:52 +1100
> > Same kind of feelings have been felt over the past year while expanding my
> > OM system - I've been unsure whether I'm flogging a dead horse or whether
> > I'd see an analogue renaissance once digital settled down and people
> > realised there was something missing
> >
> > Andrew McPhee

Wayne replied:
>I've sometimes felt the same when buying film based camera equipment lately.

Nice to know I'm not the only one!  What I've spent on OM gear in the past
year would have bought me an E300.  But I'm sure that my photographs would
not be any better with the E300.  I have a P&S 4MP Fuji S3500 digicam that
I use for snapshots of the kid and so on, the OM gear is used for 'serious'
photography.

I know the Fuji is lacking compared to an E300 or E-1 but all my attempts
at using it for anything other than snapshots have been very disappointing,
the photos lack 'snap' and the dynamic range, metering and noise
limitations show it for what it is.  But for snapshot-type photos the
convenience of digital can't be beat.

As I said, a proper DSLR would no doubt be better but I'm not convinced
that for the current price they are worth it.  And for that price I've put
together a more flexible OM system that I'm very comfortable with, I just
hope that the digital steamroller won't end up denying me the use of it
because I can't buy the film I want.

>The last part of this roll of slide film I ran through the Olympus 35 ED,
>just to see how accurately it's auto-only exposure system would handle slide
>film, where the exposure is very critical. So to put it to a real test, I
>took some pictures of back-lit ice-covered trees, including a lot of sky
>with a bright sun still quite a bit above the horizon, and only slightly
>filtered through scattered cloud cover, shining straight into the lens. It
>was so bright I couldn't look through the viewfinder to compose the shot. I
>really thought I wouldn't get anything, but the slides came back with the
>ice-covered trees perfectly exposed, no ghosting of aperture, or lens flare,
>and the direct sun portion of the pic only slightly washed out. Quite
>frankly, I was more or less shocked, both at the way the film, and the old
>35ED camera, handled it. I'm not sure even how I would have metered it
>manually in the 2s to get it as good.   I know neither my OM2s, nor OMPC
>with ESP, would get that right in either auto or program mode. And the C5050
>in that situation? Well, don't make me laugh.
>
>Wayne

Just goes to show how much things have 'advanced' when a 30yo rangefinder
camera
comes out on top! ;-)

Reminds me of the expression "old age and cunning will outwit youthful
energy" (or something to that effect anyway).

Andrew McPhee