[OM] Re: Digital primes

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital primes
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:31:29 +1100
>Earl Dunbar wrote:
> >And I would also prefer prime lenses, not a lot of zooms.

Barry B. Bean replied:
>I agree, but I think you and I must be the last two. In reading usenet
>discussions and looking at a few stores, you'd get the idea that prime
>lenses went out of
>style around the time we quit carving photographs on stone tablets.
>
>Give me the equivalent of a 20, a 50,and a 100, and I can shoot 90% of
>everything I shoot. Throw in a couple of teles and a good macro and I'm
>set. I've
>never been a fan of zooms - it seems that the extra challenge of
>composition with a prime forces me to really LOOK at the pictures I'm
>taking, instead of falling
>into the "point and shoot" trap.

No you guys are not the last two - count me in as well, I've always had a
zoom phobia.  And this is another reason digicams don't interest me.  They
all seem to use zooms, for example of the nine lenses on offer for the E-1
six are zooms and none of the primes go below 50mm (OM equiv. of 100mm).

The zoom-prime ratio may be improving (3 new of each slated for release in
2005) but I fail to understand if this is Olympus' 'Pro' system why primes
aren't in the majority - since when have pro photographers used
predominantly zoom lenses?  Anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Andrew McPhee