[OM] Digital dilemma

Subject: [OM] Digital dilemma
From: Johan Malmstrom <jom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:44:05 +0100
First a question that seems to be hard to find answer for: What is the
shortest flash-sync speed on the C-8080 and E-300? External studio
non-ttl flash is what I use.

It seems that I need a digital camera. My heart tells me, buy that 4x5"
Sinar F, you owe it to the coming generations that you once have made
art in real format. Or at least a *blad with that lovely 6cm by
6cm-format. But the demands around me says different: "Go digital, your
customers only want fast jobs, they don't want art. And you already
scan all your works". In this area I do mostly in-door work like
studio-portrait and product-photos. (I think I have shown you shoes?)
And some occasional indoor-office etc.

So what h*ll. I'll give up. A week ago I had decided to wait to see
what's coming on that pma-show. Know we know it brought some lovely
lenses. But I have had my mind set on the C-8080. Well this weekend Ida
has kept me and Anna awake a lot, and I have had much time too my
thoughts. (Carrying Ida on my shoulder, walking in a dark apartment,
not much else to do but thinking...) Maybe the E-300 is a better buy.

As this is my first investment in a non-OM system my thinking was to
start cheap. With the C-8080 I could get a complete camera that fills
my need, it's affordable, it have a nice sharp lens, rather large
aperture all the way from wide to tele. And that is all. For the same
price (almost, a bit more) I get the step-in model of the E-series
equipped  with a rather cheap (small aperture) lens. But the sensor is
larger and by that maybe it's easier to get some kind of shallower DOF?
The argument here is that in the future I could grow in to this system.
But I wont buy another lens from the start, because that will not fit
in budget.

As you are the best bunch of enablers, possessors of deeper knowledge
and curmudgeons please come to my help!

/ Johan