[OM] Re: New list member...with a few questions..

Subject: [OM] Re: New list member...with a few questions..
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:16:34 -0800
Neil Scott wrote:

>Hello all,

Welcome to the list!

>I'm glad to have found a place where I'm amongst others with
>Zuikoholism...I'm looking forward to learning and contributing to and from
>others with this "terrible" affliction.

Hold onto your wallet. ! :-)

>So, a lens question: I'm considering parting with my Zuiko 75-150 f4, 135
>f3.5 and 200 f4 in favor of a 65-200 f4. This kind of move will certainly
>lighten the load in my camera bag, but will I lose sharpness or bokeh by
>going to the 65-200?

You can get some idea about resolution on Gary's lens test site
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>. I'm personally
never owned one, partially for the below reason, but others have
experience with it.

HOWEVER, the 65-200 is infamous because many of them have developed a
hazy inner rear element. Unfortunately, whatever causes it (and you can
find much discussion in the list archives) if it is bad enough, it will
have actually damaged the element and cannot be cleaned or repaired.
There are also reports of its return after cleaning. There are lenses
out there without this problem, but it is common enough that one should
be VERY careful when buying one.

>I recently bought a Om-2n from e-**y basically as a parts camera for its
>lens; the camera was in better shape than I imagined but the 50mm f1.4  has
>fungus. The lens is in KEH EX+ condition and looks clear, but when held up
>to the light it has light spidery fungus filaments throughout. How much will
>this fungus affect picture resolution? Need I worry about fungus in the
>camera body itself and will it transfer to other lenses? I live in a dry,
>mountainous climate...will this keep the fungus from spreading?

The first question is which versoin of the 50/1.4 is it. The standard
lenses, 50/1.4 and 50/1.8 went through many changes over the time they
were manufactured. If it is marked "G. ZUIKO"  on the front ring, you
now have a lovely paperweight, since you can get a very nice clean one
for less than cleaning cost. If it says simply ZUIKO, with or without
"MC" after it and the serial number is under 1,0085,000, it may be worth
getting an estimate. With a higher serial number, it was one of the
finest Zuikos, and it is worth getting a pro opinion of whether it is
salvagable and whether it is worth it. Even then, a really nice, clean
latest model one may be had for maybe UD$60-70.

I hope the camera is a good one. :-(

Moose