[OM] Re: Digital dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital dilemma
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:47:29 -0800
Johan, could I suggest that you check your local library and look at
Polaroid Land Photography by Ansel Adams. Art can be made with a
Polaroid camera. Certainly you can make art with a digital camera. So
go ahead and satisfy your need for one now. Nothing is forever and
certainly you may want to get that Sinar sometime in the future but
perhaps it is not time yet.

If you are really considering a choice between a digicam and a dslr,
don't hesitate. Get the dslr. Nice as the C-8080 is, any dlsr will put
it in the shade.

E-300, x flash synch is 1/180 sec. Not sure about C-8080.

If high speed flash synch is important to you consider a Nikon D70
which is one of the few inexpensive DSLRs  which have a high speed
1/500 second X synch and it can synch wirelessly with a second flash as
well. The kit lens it comes with is very sharp, with good color
rendition and has a built in motor which focuses very quietly and
quickly.

A DSLR is going to give a shallower depth of field than the smaller
sensor of the c-8080 at the same stop of course. A DSLR is more
flexible and more like a traditional film camera. Sometimes even if the
lens of a digicam is fast at wide open you only have F stops up to F8
to work with. Zoomed you have almost no aperture flexibility at all.
Even if the lens is fast on a digicam you are running into noise at 100
ISO and the picture is getting pretty ugly at 200 ISO. A DSLR is
relatively noise free up to ISO 400 and some are very good beyond that
as well. Which is not to say you can't make great pictures with a
digicam. It is just easier and more consistent with a DSLR.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA