[OM] Re: Digital primes

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital primes
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:40:47 -0400

> I think Oly is not alone. Most lens development seems to be going to
> zooms and fast, long primes. The disadvantage of the e-1 is that there
> is no system of AF lenses for 35mm already there for people who want
> them as there is with some other makers. The result, though, is that
> even with systems with a lot of 35mm legacy primes is that their design
> may not be very good with a sensor instead of film and that their
> technology is also old. I have not looked at Canon's site, but if you
> look at the lens site for Nikon Japan you will find that the MTFs for
> the recent zoom lenses are better than the MTF of the primes, even the
> ones with outstanding reputations.
>

> Winsor

Some of you understand MTF way better than I do, but I'm wondering if
numbers always tells the whole story about a lens. I mentioned recently the
shots I took pointed straight into a bright sun, with the simple Olympus 35
ED, which has an odd but simple 4 element 38/2.8 lens. I have several zooms,
both for the OM's and the one attached to the C5050, and in my experience
none of them would handle that situation without significant lens flare and
aperture ghosting. I would think a pro would want some basic prime lenses
for the times when flare needs to be minimized.
Here is an example ( a crop, then resized) of trying to take a flash picture
of falling snow at night with the C5050. I have others taken the same night
that are far worse.

Wayne