[OM] Re: OT: Author Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Author Hunter S. Thompson Commits Suicide
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:00:13 +0000
I was for a long time an admirer of Hunter Thompson, owning most of his books
and regularly reading his other writings.  Then sometime in the '80s, after he
was arrested speeding along a Colorodo back road for possession of dynamite and
marijuana, he became my hero.  He was, of course, acquitted, and I was sure I
was one of those to whom Hunter spoke via his dedication in his next book,
"Songs of the Doomed: More Notes on the Death of the American Dream."  It read:
"To all the friends and strangers and even enemies who answered the Great Roll
Call when I was seized by rabid scum who tried to put me in prison."

He was one of a kind, and it's too bad we aren't making that kind anymore.
Much too dangerous and subversive to suit the rabid scum we've turned
government over to.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from