[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:08:56 -0000
Winsor Crosby wrote:

> <snip> In addition an incident meter is merely the same meter
> with a translucent dome of known qualities.

Indeed. But pointed in the opposite direction (which is of vital
importance) so as to measure the light falling onto the subject.

> If you point a spot meter at an object with known quantities
> (photographic experience needed here) you get the same thing.
> Examples of known quantities are a small grey card, palm of the
> hand, green foliage, average rock tone, etc,

Yes. And (interestingly) Caucasian facial skin is not generally one of
them...

> or even one of those photodome thingies for the front of your lens.

Not sure what you mean here, but logic says: only if you point the
camera back to where you're going to take the photo from (nice ending in
preposition!)

> And there are times when an incident light meter is counter intuitive,
> like back lit foliage or flowers.

Back-lit foliage, perhaps, but why flowers?

> I used an incident meter a lot when I had a Leica M3 with its wide
field
> meter and with the Canon F1 after that. I don't think I ever found the
> need for it after I got my OM4T and finally stopped carrying the
> incident meter.

If you choose your reflective objects carefully this is true. But, OTOH,
it's really nice to take an incident reading and then shoot away with
the meter off (OM-1). And if the lighting doesn't change, the photos
will all be 100% correctly exposed. If you rely on the meter, you'll be
fiddling for Rome (OM-1/3) or accepting the values (OM-2/4) whilst
getting the exposure wrong!

> On the occasion I take out my Mamiya 7 I take the meter and find it
useful.

Meters are a PITA, as is taking incident readings.

With the 3/4 you can avoid using a meter.

But nothing, IMHO, beats using one.

Regards,

Simon