[OM] Re: Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T

Subject: [OM] Re: Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:55:26 -0500
Rob,

I think you are already on the way to learning what actually works by doing
it and seeing what happens. I have been in the place you are in and I got my
head around it by a lot of repetition. I use a DSLR at work which gives me
instant review of what worked and what didn't. It soon gets you into
recognizing what you see in the viewfinder and what you need to do in terms
of exposure compensation to get the result you intend. I do a lot of product
shots for  where say the white of a page should be white and the blacks need
to be black. The guide quoted is no doubt accurate but it helps to relate to
real life and the scenes you see and photograph.

What I suggest is that you take more pictures and take note of what you did
in each exposure. Maybe it is worth just going out and shooting some
pictures just for this experiment and not placing perfection of composition
in your mind but looking for variation in content (say a white building
predominant in the scene or a black LP and a colored sleeve). Take a shot
with the meters suggested exposure and then do a +1 stop and a -1 stop shot.
Get the film back and study the results, see what worked and what didn't
with these coarse adjustments. Be strict with your note taking so you can be
sure of the results. Then you can go further and perhaps revisit the
locations and reshoot with finer variations. Once you have in your mind the
intention for theses scenarios and how to get it out of your meter you can
then approach other subjects and repeat the process with less burned film.
You can never take too many pictures.

Practice, practice!

Dan S.

From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of robert smith
Subject: [OM] Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T

This made me think about the above descriptions. What is 'light' and 'dark'?
With my Om1n I have a bit of a guess at under/overexposing to get what I
want. I often take several shots with varying exposure to hopefully get one
shot about right. This is a great waste and expensive and I am very
conservative on my adjustments so I end up with loads near identical shots.
Has anyone created a series of scenes which might fit the above descriptions
to help us beginners guage how much to under/overexpose a picture in similar
circumstances.?

Rob
robnruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx