[OM] Re: Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T

Subject: [OM] Re: Exposure examples. Was OM1-OM4T
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:04:32 +0000
You, and anyone else interested in the details of metering and
exposure, might want to read Roger Hicks's book "Perfect Exposure" (if
indeed you haven't already done so...).  I received it for Christmas a
couple of years ago and it makes for very instructive reading on the
subject of reflective or incident readings – as well as loads of other
subjects.  The whole of Chapter 9 is worth a scan, but a passage on
page 121 caught my eye when I scanned through this morning:

"Quite often, Roger will take an incident light reading to establish
the general light level, and then check the brightness of individual
parts of the subject with a spot meter.  In this case, he increased the
incident light reading (from a Variosix F) by 1/3 stop on the strength
of the spot reading (Spot Master 2), in order to open up the shadows."
The image so sidelined is entitled "Square, Mertola" and is a sunny
scene, presumably in Spain or Mexico.

To return however to my basic point: the system you use will work for
you after some practice.  No system has a monopoly on being right or
wrong, just as "correct" exposure is a subjective level, within a
certain range of results anyway.  The start of Chapter 9 says it rather
well in my opinion: "'Metering technique' is a rather grandiose term
for 'whatever works'."   Whether you end up agreeing with him or not,
the book is well worth a read.  I rather like it because the photos are
not necessarily startling in their results, but they do explain enough
for me.  I got lost easily in the explanations about the responsiveness
of films, and RH is not afraid to express forthright opinions, but it
was an interesting read.

Chris