[OM] Re: Digital primes

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital primes
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:11:30 -0500
IMO, the Tamron is the equal of the Zuiko's at equal apertures.  But it
certainly comes at the expense of a monsterous weight penalty.   Where most
modern zooms fall down is in maximum aperture, IMO.

The interesting E-System news is that the two new Digital Zuikos 35-100/2.0 and
14-35/2.0 will change much of the bias.  But again, you have to give up
something, and that something is weight and size.  These two lenses are big
suckers, fully equal to their 35mm f/2.8 counterparts.  They will come with big
price tags too.

In the end, it's nice to have choices.  The newer zoom lenses offer many
choices, mostly centered around weight/size vs. flexibility vs. maximum
aperture compared to high-quality primes.

Skip