[OM] Re: OT Sucking it up

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Sucking it up
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:01:21 -0500
Walt said:

Saturday, I threw the Hoover vacuum cleaner in the trash, disgusted with
poor performance and changing bags.  Sunday morning, the boss lady and I
went to Target and bought a Dyson DC14 animal.  Next week, the
Electrolux and the Oreck are going to Goodwill, since they still work,
sort of, and may be of benefit to somebody.  I promise you, the Dyson
lives up to the TV ad hype!  Compared to the others, it's like an
Aston-Martin Vanquish compared to a Ford Escort.  As Willie Nelson said,
in a different context, this thing "could suck the crome off a trailer
hitch."
---------------------------------------

Interesting observation.  I'm not in current need of a vacuum cleaner
but have watched the Dyson ads with interest for the time when my 30
year old Kirby might finally decide to give up the ghost.  However, I
note that the July '04 issue of Consumer Reports rates the Dyson DC07
(DC14 not tested or mentioned) as number 10 in performance in a field of
33.  The Hoovers and others above it tend to be named things like
"WindTunnel" and "Whirlwind".  I have heard that Dyson is in some patent
litigation with Hoover and others and wonder whether the big guys are
trying to beat Dyson using his own invention.

Meanwhile, the Kirby whines away as long as it's fed an occasional
rubber drive belt and the bronze sleeve bearings for the beater brush
get a drop of oil every 5-10 years.  Keeps on ticking like my OM's.

Chuck Norcutt