[OM] Re: Digital dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital dilemma
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:29:29 -0600
The C-8080 is a cul-de-sac on the road to who knows where,
but a very nice place to be.

The EVF is a love-hate thing.  There are things I just love
about it, or maybe just one biggie:  the live histogram.
I'd like to have an SLR that toggles in features like that.
I bought the C-5060 (a camera I still admire a lot)
precisely because I was opposed to EVFs and then discovered
that the viewfinder was essentially unusable for any kind of
serious work at all.  That wouldn't have been so bad could
you actually use the LCD outside on a sunny day.  That cured
my EVF-phobia.

There are worse EVFs than the C-8080's.  The Lumix FZ20's
EVF is generally regarded as one of the worst things about
it, but to me it is fine.  I find the camera simpler to use
in manual mode than the C-8080 and it can then easily toggle
in grid overlays and other sorts of stuff or just remove
everything altogether but the scene itself.

I have mixed feelings about whether I would want to see a 15
MP full-frame C-150150.  It really is just a convenience
camera to me. When I go to a D-SLR it will probably mean my
film shooting days are mostly over.  The C-8080 just means
that there's no rush.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that a D-SLR is better in
every way.  I do actually believe it, but the stuff is just
so expensive! Even if a nice used E-1 comes along, that's
the throwaway part; the lenses I want won't be cheaper for a
long, long time.  I just picked up a TCON-8 for the C-8080
which takes it to the equivalent of 21mm. Less than $150
and no discernable fall off in quality that I can see.  The
camera is just so much fun.  I hope saying that does not
diminish anyone's pride of ownership in an E-1 or any D-SLR
or any SLR.  It certainly isn't meant to.

Joel W.