[OM] Re: The travel kit again

Subject: [OM] Re: The travel kit again
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:07:05 +0100
>  >The kit I had imagined until today:
>>OM-4Ti
>>21/3.5
>>35/2
>>85/2
>>135/2.8
>>Kiron 1.5x TC (i.e., 200/4 with the 135/2.8)
>>Viv 2x macro TC (i.e., 270/5.6 with the 135/2.8)
>>
>>Plus:
>>Extension tubes (Oly 7 + Viv 12)
>>T-20 + autoconnector + 2m cord + Omnibounce
>>Very light tripod (Manfrotto 714)
>An excellent combination. I would probably leave out at least one
>TC, and seriously consider if the extension tubes are worth the
>trouble. Also, the strobe and tripod. (Of course, I detest traveling
>with a tripod. If they're not a lot of hassle to carry, they do
>little good, and they always make so many others happy!) About the
>strobe and the tubes, if your photography requires frequent use,
>they're worth the weight, otherwise...

Well, the extension rings are small and light, I think I'll take them.

The T-20 is another matter, I very rarely use flash, so I might leave
it at home.

The tripod: the idea is to leave it in the hotel room most of the
time, except if I know I will need it (of course, Murphy's law might
be operative here...). I bought a very light one (1 kg with head), on
the assumption that no tripod is better than none. On a recent trip
to Cambodia, I had taken only an Ultrapod, and in several
circumstances I was unable to use it because there was nowhere to
place it. Fortunately someone lent me a tripod for a few days, which
I used heavily while visiting Angkor. Of course, when visiting a
market, it's a different matter. OTOH, even now with a 1kg tripod I
am hesitating to take it... (I have some back problems).

Bernard