[OM] Why no digital backs for existing 35mm SLRs?

Subject: [OM] Why no digital backs for existing 35mm SLRs?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:34:16 -0600
Inquiring minds would like to know... what are the technical reasons why
nobody has come out with digital imaging backs for existing 35mm manual
focus SLR bodies? I can understand that cost might well be an issue, but
what are the technical reasons the preclude mounting a 24x36mm focal plane
array in the appropriate location within a custom-designed back? Such
things exist for 2-1/4 square systems... One thing I thought of was the
physical "head height" above the actual imaging plane of the detector might
interfere with the focal plane shutter. Another is the bit about the angle
of acceptance of the pixels (wells versus a layer surface). As I recall,
Kodak's first SLR digitals were modified Nikon or Canon bodies, essentially
just putting an imaging array at the right location behind the shutter. I'm
just a little surprised that nobody has seen fit to cobble together an
imager and processing electronics with an odd data back - just to show it
could be done! So I figure there must be some hard technical issues...
anyone have any thoughts or comments? I suppose (just for fun) one could
disassemble a low cost digicam, buy a replacement back from Camtech, and
kludge the bits together just to see what would happen... anyone care to
try????

Curt