[OM] Re: E-1 pictures of Cambridgeshire (now churches)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 pictures of Cambridgeshire (now churches)
From: "GeeBee" <geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:14:57 -0000
Hi Chris,

Wide angles from the waist are shoot and hope. I don't normally ask. I did
take on a project designed to overcome my unease at photographing strangers.
Although I am still uncomfortable I wouldn't hesitate to ask for a 'special'
photo opportunity whereas before I would let a good shot go rather than ask.

Here is the introduction to the project '36 Total Strangers and the results:

"Very few of my shots have people in them and this point was noted by Kyle
Cassidy. I waffled some excuse about British reserve and Kyle's solution was
to set me a project where I had to get 36 shots (1 roll of film - remember
film?) of total strangers. The theory being that it would cure me once and
for all of my personal discomfort at the prospect of sticking a camera in a
strangers face. He laid down some rules on equipment (no telephoto lenses)
and location (no parades) and with these in mind I loaded a roll of film and
set out on the project. One roll of film proved to be a little over
optimistic and it took me eighteen months to get all thirty six :-)"
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Strangers/index.html

One of them was a successful artist. Scroll down the link page for a running
commentary on the thought processes of a panic stricken photographer :-)
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/cyppo.html

--Graham

From: "Chris Barker" <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>