[OM] Re: E-1 pictures of Cambridgeshire (now churches)

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 pictures of Cambridgeshire (now churches)
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:47:19 +0100
Photographing people... I remember on one of the Luminous Landscape
DVDs, Michael Reichmann had a subject on "street photography", where
he interviewed a renowned photographer (can't remember the name right
now). The guy said that what he proposes to newbies is to satrt a
project where they say: today, I will devote 3 rolls of film to
photographing people. I will not care whether the photos will be good
or not, nobody else than me will see them. And I know that today I
have total licence to photograph people, no problem, nobody will say
a word, I am used to it and I know I can do it. And he said that the
surprising thing is, at the end of the day, you will realise that
people don't normally care.

Although I did not pursue such a project, and I am not less
completely at ease (far from it), I can make people shots when
travelling, and he is right: people don't normally mind. For my last
travels, I used a 35-105/3.5-4.5, great zoom for this. The problem
is, sometime when it is a little dark, the aperture is not
sufficient. In addition, the background may not be sufficiently
blurred. So this time I will take a 35/2 and a 85/2. We'll see !

bernard