[OM] Re: Does the XA easily tear film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Does the XA easily tear film?
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:39:06 -0600
Once in a while we see XA's (and other cameras) where the back has been
closed on the film.

When loading the camera, if the film coming out of the cassette is allowed
to bow up off the film rails, the pressure plate will push down on the loop
as the back is closed, pushing the cassette so that it's opening ends up
pointing _up_ instead of _across_ the back of the camera.  When that
happens, the spring on the back cover that presses against the cassette will
pinch the film against the cassette once the back is closed.

Except for a jammed rewind shaft (usually caused by turning the rewind knob
backwards and forcing), that's the only thing I know of that would result in
torn sprocket holes on the film.  The trick is to be sure the film is flat
across the back of the camera before closing the back.

Subject: [OM] Does the XA easily tear film?