[OM] Re: (OM) Shipping costs from North America ( OT?)

Subject: [OM] Re: (OM) Shipping costs from North America ( OT?)
From: Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:58:54 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:
> It seems that Canada Post charges are nearly on a par with those of
> Germany (high) and that they are  S_L_O_W  in doing the job..

 That depends on what you're sending, to be fair. Letters from Calgary to the
UK tend to take under a week to get there, and I've had them get there in two
days when the wind was behind them.. (sent regular airmail).

 The rates seem reasonable enough to me -- 30x20x20cm x 1kg (which should fit
most lenses in there) from here to New Zealand would cost $11.50 sent small
packet ground, or $26.25 small packet air. Sending it the other direction would
be, let's see,  $23.01 economy or $27.07 air, and $1nz ~= $1cdn, so it's
actually about twice as expensive to send things cheaply from NZ as it is to
send them to NZ because you don't have small packet rate outbound at your end.

 (weird, it costs more to send things from NZ if you use stamps. Wonder why
that is?)

 -- dan