[OM] Still in the fold - new E1

Subject: [OM] Still in the fold - new E1
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 23:41:28 -0600
Long story short: Walked  into the camera shop thinking I would be buying a
Canon 20d and walked out with an E1.

Long story less long: When I had the opportunity to actually handle the D70,
20D, and E1, it became clear that the 20D and the E1 were professional
cameras and the D70 was a nice body, but not in the same league. A little more
handling and reviewing, and I realized that if I took resolution out of the p
icture, the E-1 was the clear choice for a guy with 25+ years and thousands of
dollars invested in Oly bodies and Zuiko glass. Throw in the fact that the E-1
and a 14-54 ran roughly $100 more than the 20D body, and roughly half of what
the 20D and a comparable zoom would run, and I was there. I could run off
another half dozen reasons, but the crux of the matter is that I'm the proud
owner of an E1. Woo hoo!

I've only had the camera for 24 hours and haven't yet had a chance to shoot
much more than the inside of a hotel room, but a couple of things I've already
noticed are:

1) The Oly software crashed my laptop. Not sure what that's all about.
2) If you must have a zoom, 28-108 is a nice range (but I already *need* a
macro and a 300)
3) The interface really is intuitive
4) It didn't seem that big in the store next to the 20D and D70, but compared
with my trusty OM-4Ti, this thing is HUGE! I may have to get a bigger SUV or a
trailer just to hault it around. I can't believe I own a wonderbrick.

More when I get a chance to put this thing through its paces.

BBB

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company