[OM] Re: Does the XA easily tear film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Does the XA easily tear film?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:48:00 -0500
Clint said:
Once in a while we see XA's (and other cameras) where the back has been
closed on the film.

When loading the camera, if the film coming out of the cassette is
allowed to bow up off the film rails, the pressure plate will push down
on the loop as the back is closed, pushing the cassette so that it's
opening ends up pointing _up_ instead of _across_ the back of the
camera.  When that happens, the spring on the back cover that presses
against the cassette will pinch the film against the cassette once the
back is closed.

Except for a jammed rewind shaft (usually caused by turning the rewind
knob backwards and forcing), that's the only thing I know of that would
result in torn sprocket holes on the film.  The trick is to be sure the
film is flat across the back of the camera before closing the back.

Thanks, Clint.  I think you just solved the mystery.  After looking at
the back cover spring I can see exactly how the film would be pinched.
And it did happen to me on the very first frame which is what would be
expected here.  I'll watch for that in the future.

Chuck Norcutt