[OM] Software for photo editing

Subject: [OM] Software for photo editing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:35:24 -0500
I have Paint Shop Pro through version 8, Picture Window Pro and
PhotoShop 7.

I bought PSP at version 7 at a fire sale price at a local store.  I
found that I simply didn't like using it and was put off by the 8 bit
limitation.  I upgraded to version 8 thinking there might be something
there that would inspire me to use but that hasn't been the case.

I now use both PWP and PS 7 even though I much prefer using PWP.  I
don't believe there's much (or maybe even anything) that PS 7 can do
that you can't do with PWP at a fraction of the price.  However, PWP
does not support layers (at least in the same sense as PS) and layers
simply make life a lot easier for some types of complex editing.

I continue to use PWP, however, since it can do every operation in 16
bits and I find it much easier and more pleasant to use overall.  In
particular, the implemenation of the clone tool in PWP is *far* superior
to PS.  The clone tool is by far the tool that I use most and what keeps
dragging me back to PWP from PS.

At under $100 it's hard to go wrong with PWP even if you have PS.

Chuck Norcutt