[OM] Re: UV filters

Subject: [OM] Re: UV filters
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:26:33 -0600
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:24:31 -0500, Matthew Born wrote:

>As for the protection
>issue, I've never really bought into it too much. I've been carrying a
>camera since about 1970 or so when my dad gave me a Miranda. And I've never
>dropped one.

No wonder you don't buy the protection argument! I've dropped my Olympii off
cliffs, into sand, and out of a car onto concrete, not to mention mundane drops
onto carpet from waist or chest level.

I'm a big believer in a UV/Skylight filter up front. In addition to being just
the kind of klutz who'd rather replace a scratched/broken filter than an
expensive lens,
I also frequently work in sandy/muddy/windy/crowded settings, and its easy for
a front element to pick up marks and grit in those conditions.

Whne I shoot indoors under controlled settings, the clear filters come off. But
out there in the dangerous world, I'm using protection!

--
Barry B. Bean
Bean & Bean Cotton Company