[OM] Re: [OT] Monitor Calibration

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Monitor Calibration
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 11:36:50 -0000 (GMT)
> Hello,
> As far as I know, the Windoz monitors are calibrated at 6500K by default
> and if I remember correctly, the Macs are something like 5300K(?).
> The sun is assumed to be an approximate Blackbody radiator at a
> temperature of 6000K and recently the "experts" have "agreed" that the
> Windoz world is a better approximation.
> Does anyone know what are the factors considered when those calibration
> numbers are estimated?  Seems logical to me that numbers closer to 6000K
> should be used.
> Danke very much.
> Boris

according to fuji's web site slide viewers should be calibrated to 5000K.
and since I only shoot slides I calibrated my monitor too. However, at
this colour temperature things look rather orange so I went back to 6500K.
Many monitors by default are around 9500K which is way too blue. I think
the colour temperature is dependant upon the time of year and time of day.
I wouldn't get too paraniod about it. I think the main aim is to calibrate
everything you have to one standard to help get consistent colours.
Regards
James