[OM] Re: Tamron 200-500mm zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 200-500mm zoom
From: tom_f77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 17:29:07 GMT
Piers, Jeff,

Thanks for your comments...  I think I'll leave it for now; it looks as though
there are probably better alternatives for not too much more money.  I'll do
some research!

Tom

<snip>
The 200-500 f5.6 is a big heavy lens. I would recommend either the Tamron SP
300/2.8 or the 400/4 (You want the green ones ... Walt's "green is gooder"
might be considered an understatement ). The 300/2.8 & 400/4 are smaller and
lighter than the zoom. They are superb lenses.
<snip>
As to the lens itself - I don't know anything about this one, but have been
generally more than happy with Tamron.  You need to keep in mind that there
were two later versions of the 200-500 zoom (06A and 31A), the first of
which introduced the Adaptall-2 mount, the last of which had a maximum
aperture of f/5.6, and is the only 200-500 to gain the "SP" designation
which indicates superior performance. I don't know if the earlier lenses
were improved in other ways.
<snip>