[OM] Re: Kyocera Dumps Cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Kyocera Dumps Cameras
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 20:43:27 -0600
Quoting Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I am skeptical of Sony saving Contax. I don't think Sony is a
> corporation that would like to run a separate nonSony brand under their
> umbrella. And Sony is having its own financial problems.

Ah, but Sony already does have a non-Sony brand. In fact, they sell a digital
camera in that line (a 2 MP unit which has a family resemblance to more
plebeian Sonys):

http://www.qualia.sony.us/qualia_main.cgi  -- once there, you have to
enter the
site, click on Products, and then choose Product 16 ("Digital Camera")

That said, I think half the value of Contax is in the brand, and Sony
dares not
lose that by moving it under Qualia. The Qualia line also strikes me as
targeting buyers with more money and style than a desire for great
performance,
further making it a bad place to put Contax.

And Sony _is_ having financial problems, but most of those, IMHO, come from
being greedy (Beta, Memory Stick, SACD, and ATRAC were all unsuccessful
attempts to corner the market for hardware _and_ software) and shortsighted
(Sony does not make their own LCD displays. None of them. And they missed
markets for other products while trying to set their own standards). Adding
Contax really doesn't solve any of those problems.

So I agree -- I don't think Contax will go to Sony. Thinking out loud, though:
might Konica-Minolta like to add Contax to their stable? Might add some luster
to a company running well behind Canon and Nikon. Or (obligatory OM content)
would Olympus take them on? Personally, I don't think they would. I think Oly
considers itself a professional player now and does not need to add a
"name" to
their stable.

Thoughts?

Steve