[OM] Re: Kyocera Dumps Cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Kyocera Dumps Cameras
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:02:49 -0800
on 3/3/05 4:01 PM, Garth Wood at garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 01:14 PM 03/03/2005, you wrote:
>> Problem is the toner kits are no longer available.  I've got a supply (11)
>> in a closet that will keep one running probably as long as I'll need it,
>> but not enough to share.  There's not much use for a laser printer without
>> toner.  These printers were $3400 new in 1990.  I bought one NIB for $100
>> two years ago, which is my "keeper."  Go figure.
>

> Ah.  No toner kit, no soap.  I've gotten rid of more than one perfectly
> useable laser printer when the toner kits either became unavailable or
> prohibitively expensive.
>
> A shame.
>

> Garth

Have you checked the refill outfits... sometimes they have older cartridges,
and I seem to remember reading about one place that would refill -your-
cartridge if you mailed it in. Not worth that for one commonly available,
but a really obscure or difficult-to-find cartridge might be refillable
multiple times. I suppose it depends to some degree on if they use the
toner-only design or include the photosensitive cylinder in the toner
makeup... hard to renew those.

So as not to be totally OT, I suppose you could print black-and-white images
on a laser printer...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...