[OM] Carl Zeiss Jena lenses

Subject: [OM] Carl Zeiss Jena lenses
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:06:01 +0000
I have one of these, a 28/2.8.  There is no indication on it that gives a clue
as to where it was made, whether Japan or East Germany.  Around the front
element, it reads "CARL ZEISS JENA  F=28mm  1:2.8  MC," and then that
character, the O with a diagonal line through it that I don't know the ASCII
code for, that indicates the filter size is 49mm.  Around the lens barrel,
between the aperture ring and the focus ring, along with the DOF scale, it says
"VEB CARL ZEISS JENA."  It came from France via booBay as a birthday present
from my good lady wife four or five years ago.

Where it was made and by whom and under license from whomever doesn't make any
difference to me.  Although I have most of the f/2 Zuikos, including the 21/2
and 35/2 wide angles, this little lens is good enough that I have never
considered replacing it with a 28/2 Zuiko, just as I'm not looking to replace
my Tamron 24/2.5 with a 24/2 Zuiko.  Shame on me maybe, but I'm happy enough
with both these lenses that I doubt the Zuikos, even though faster, are enough
better to make the swap worth the effort.

Other Jena lenses may be crap.  Hell, they may all be crap.  I only know about
mine.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from