[OM] Re: Carl Zeiss 35-70 lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Carl Zeiss 35-70 lens
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:18:04 -0700
I don't usually use this lens with a tripod. I sometimes shoot it on a bean
bag laid over a car window or on the hood. Sometimes I will lay the lens
over a backpack or lean it against a tree. I also use shoulder pods but
usually not for anything over 300mm. I have camera supports built onto my
Jeep that have a thing that looks like a padded dildo to support the
cameras. For long lenses I use two Bogen 3221 tripods, one with a gear head
and the other with a heavy duty fluid head with a remote motor drive
actuator on the handle. That combination is great for wildlife when you have
time to set it up. For situations where there it is not convenient to use a
tripod I like a Bogen monopod with a Bogen 3421 lens cradle. I have lots of
other camera supports for mounting on fence poles, trees and all kind of
things. One I really like is a homemade version of a Rue Groofwin pod. Here
is a link to the commercial version:
<http://www.rue.com/supports.html#groofwin >.  I think Kinesis is also
making a similar product. Asking about tripods on this list will usually
generate a lot of strong opinions and recommendations. I hope the lens works
out well for you.  /jmac