[OM] Re: OT.. Definitions and Scanner Problems

Subject: [OM] Re: OT.. Definitions and Scanner Problems
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:04:12 -0800
robert smith wrote:

>Does anyone else have a Plustek Optic Pro 4830p scanner running using windows
>2000?
>As far as I can remember it worked really well under Windows 98 but does not
>under Win 2000 with the drivers I have.

You are certainly not alone. A search on the name brings up many, many
results for drivers for various versions of Windoze and lots of post by
those disappointed with their inability to get it working. Are you using
the same machine as when it worked before? It requires the Enhanced
Printer Port (EPP) to operate. This is a hardware function usually
selected in the computer set-up screens accessible when first turned on
by pressing the ESC or DEL key, or some such. If EPP is not enabled, no
operating system and/or drivers are going to make it work. I am also
under the possibly eroneous impression that not all motherboards are
created equal in their implementation of  EPP.

Using the parallel port to operate a scanner is a real kludge,
technically, which only existed to avoid the costs of SCSI until
something else came along,  USB and then Firewire, as it happens. I had
a parallel port scanner on W98 that didn't work on XP. I eventually
found a fix from the US distributor, which disagreed with the Japanese
company's decision not to create a driver for NT/2000/XP.

>I am sure I will be frowned upon by some of you for having such an old
>decrepid scanner but I know it works and refuse to part with it until I know
>how well or badly it scans.

It is a 300dpi scanner with 10 bit depth, probably fine for scanning
text, etc., but not much use for any photographic purpose.

>I have downloaded several drivers from different sites but they just produce
>similar error messages.
>Any clues anyone? or it goes in the Scouts jumble sale box.

Sounds like a good solution.

Moose