[OM] Re: Slide copying with Olympus E1

Subject: [OM] Re: Slide copying with Olympus E1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:22:52 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Moose, your experiment with the IT8 from Wolf Faust is very interesting. I
>had consider the "camera" target from them too but I seldom shoot negative
>these years so I have not buy one yet. Recently I consider to go back to use
>more negative as Neat Image can solve my concern on the film grain and
>negative has much wider latude.

Yes, that's what I am doing, although I am still inexpert at grain
reduction. It seems to work very well with some combinations of film
grain and subject. With others, it can decrease apparent sharpness. I am
still a beginner and have much to learn there.

>I have no experience on the IT8 workflow but it seems that the film will no
>longer affect the color accuracy, it means no matter you use Fuji Superia
>400 or Kodak 160NC since it will be corrected anyway (at least under
>daylight), is that true?

That is the idea as I understand it. The instructions even say to use
film profiles with slide film when you want neutral color and to avoid
the profile when you wnat the particular characteristics of a slide film
to go through to the scanned image. I have little practical experience
yet, as I've only done a profile for one film, so I can't yet say that
the results from two or more very different films come out the same in
color balance, contrast, etc.

I'm excited about it because using the profile resulted in scans that
need much less adjustment in post processing. The workflow is really
simpler with less post-processing. I just select the film profile in
Vuescan and it is used in processing the scan(s). My usual practice is
to first scan all the images on a roll to RAW files, without any other
output. This is much quicker and gets the film handling part out of the
way. I then set Vuescan to scan from the RAW files automatically, using
the film profile, where I have one, into reduced resolution JPEGs and
full size TIFFs. This can take some time, but it doesn't matter, as it
can run while I do other things and requires nothing from me while
running. Since the profile is not applied in creating the RAW files, one
may later go back and rescan with different parameters, profile, etc.
from the RAW file(s).

Another consideration here is scanner profiling. Where all scanning is
from one scanner and the results are satisfactory, scanner profiling
doesn't seem necessary, as it is, in effect, includeed in the film
profile. But if using two or more sources and/or working with others,
scanner profiling would add to the consistency of color. One may also
profile printers by scanning an IT8 target on a profiled scanner,
printing it on the target printer, then scanning the printer output for
profile building. So Vuescan can fully color manage everything but the
monitor. Last time I looked, it also won't profile digital cameras.
Maybe with a profiled camera, one could photograph the monitor and
profile it??

Moose