[OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding

Subject: [OM] Re: thoughts on shooting wedding
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 07:18:40 -0500
Wayne said:
Well obviously. I can't speak for either equipment, nor knowledge, that
I don't have.  But based on my limited equipment, and limited knowledge,
film did much better for me. That was all I was trying to say. Neither
my film cameras or digital camera or software are the "latest-greatest"
tools.  However, based on this experience, I think if I were to go
further into wedding photography, it would be toward a medium format
film camera, with sensible manual focus capability, and a close working
relationship with a reliable film lab. My opinion only.

Buying a medium format film camera might be a good thing and especially
because you can get some good deals on medium format gear right now.
However, the reason you can get some good deals in medium format gear is
that wedding and portrait photographers have been bailing out of medium
format in droves and moving to digital... and they're not looking back.

As I said earlier, just because you're shooting digital doesn't mean you
have to do your own image editing and printing.  It only means that you
can if you like.  Those pro labs that were processing film still need to
stay in business by moving to digital along with their customers.  And
it's not a big switch for them since many gave up optical enlargers long
ago in favor of scanned images.

You can choose to let the lab do all of the work as they always did.
However, in the event that a really great shot comes along that is
othewise flawed by things other than exposure or color balance, you can
choose to fix it yourself before shipping it off to the lab.
If you shoot black and white digital, however, you may be better off
printing your own if you have a good printer like the Epson 2200 or
R1800.  If film you should probably send it off to the Schnozz. :-)

Chuck Norcutt