[OM] Re: Slide copying with Olympus E1

Subject: [OM] Re: Slide copying with Olympus E1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:25:23 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>Moose, thanks for sharing, I don't use Vuescan too much, only in the case
>NikonScan give far from normal results. With NikonScan most of the time I
>only need a small adjustment (but it never right with straight scan).
>Vuescan always gives low contrast picture but adjustment is not that
>difficult too.
>
>Of course I'm not going to make product shoot so absolute color accuracy is
>not important to me, in case I need I prefer to use my DC and include a grey
>chart in my shot for post adjustment. But the IT8 is very interesting
>though, it provide the possibility to reduce the post adjustment work to
>zero.

I don't think it will ever be there for all shots, but it is enough for
many shots without further adjustment.

>I'm a bit hesitate to use calibration target on my E-1, same reason as you
>mentioned about the slide character, once calibrated its character will be
>override.

At the moment, you can't do that directly anyway in Vuescan. At least
for Can*n RAW files, the choice of 'film' profile isn't available.

>Having used both E-1 and 10D I'm pretty sure there are very
>different calibration between them, which could be designed to suit
>different people's preference. And of course I like the color and tone of my
>E-1 much more :-)

It would be interesting to have at least the possibility of matching
color/brightness/contrast from different DSLR RAW files.

Moose