[OM] Re: scanner question

Subject: [OM] Re: scanner question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:24:17 -0800
BllPear@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>The Canon FS4000 seems to be gone and forgotten. Can't fine one listed
>anywhere.

Might find a new one at a clearance place or sleepy shop. Based on the
prices they were bringing on the 'Bay when I bought mine, there was
still considerable demand. Nice clean ones with all the accessories from
good looking sellers were going for about US$500+. My thought was that I
was probably bidding against others who had come to the same conclusions
I had:

1. There isn't much long term future in the film scanner business, which
will decline in the future.
2. Thus, there isn't going to be much, if any, development.
3.  Eventually, I  won't need one, but I need one for some time.
4. 4000 dpi is all any but very specialized users need.
5. The Nikon and Minolta scanners have designed in flaws in important
areas of performance.
6. The FS4000 is the answer for me right now, and isn't likely to change.
7. Omigawd, it's been discontinued, better get one while I can.

Moose